The battery is the lifeline of your vehicle. It is responsible for powering all the electrical components in your car and starting your engine. It can be very exasperating when you are in a hurry, start your vehicle, and it doesn't start. After you check under the hood, everything is in order apart from the battery.
Best Time To Replace Your Car Battery
It is best to replace your car battery before you need to. You should replace your car battery at least after every four years. However, some factors determine the lifespan of your car battery. Some of these factors are;
- Climate- if you are in hotter climates, you may need to replace your car battery sooner than in four years. The heat increases the degradation rate of your car battery. In cooler climates, batteries can last up to five years or more.
- Heat - The heat in the hood will also increase the rate of battery degradation; however, some auto manufacturers avoid this by installing a shield around the battery or putting the battery outside the engine compartment.
- Lights left on- if you leave your lights on, you need to jumpstart your car. Problems that need you to jumpstart your car decrease the battery's lifespan.
- Vibrations – if your battery clamps come loose, there will be additional vibrations; these vibrations will increase the rate of internal battery breakdown.
Signs Your Car Battery Needs Replacing
You can watch out for signs to know if your battery needs replacing before it dies on you. Some of the signs are;
- Slow engine start- when the battery starts to break down, it will be less effective and take longer to charge the starter. If you have to start your car several times before it starts, it may mean your battery is dying.
- Dim lights- the battery powers all the electrical components in the car. If the vehicle has electrical issues such as lights, it indicates the battery does not have enough power.
- Foul smell- if your battery has a foul smell, it is dripping gas, causing it to be defective. This leak will also corrode other parts in the compartment.
We invite you to bring your vehicle to Woodie's Auto Service & Repair Centers anytime for reliable and reputable services if you need a car battery replacement.