What is defensive driving? Defensive driving is just another term for driving alert and safe on the road. Especially if you are driving during heavy traffic hours, defensive driving is a great way to protect yourself from accidents by being aware of surrounding cars. Before you even get on the road, planning your trip and understanding the weather and road conditions is the first step in defensive driving. Here are some other ways to practice defensive driving:
- Check your mirrors every 5 minutes or so and always be aware of vehicles around you.
- Be courteous and allow other vehicles attempting to switch lanes to have the right away. Switching lanes in traffic can be dangerous and trying to fight others on switching lanes puts you at risk for an accident if the other car doesn’t see you.
- Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, just in case you need to brake quickly.
- Be wary of aggressive drivers who may not be paying attention to blind spots.
- Make sure you follow the speed limit at all times while on the road.
Defensive driving can come in handy at all times on the road, but especially when driving in traffic or going on road trips. If your vehicle needs any repair or services, don't hesitate to bring your vehicle into the experts here at Woodie's Auto Service & Repair Center.